Silverstone is built on the site of a World War II Royal Air Force bomber station, RAF Silverstone, which opened in 1943. The airfield's three runways, in classic WWII triangle format, lie within the outline of the present track.
It is best known as the home of the British Grand Prix, which it first hosted in 1948 and which has been held on the circuit every year since 1987.
Following the deaths of Senna and fellow Grand Prix driver Roland Ratzenberger at Imola in 1994, Silverstone was modified in order to reduce speed and increase driver safety. As a consequence of this the flat-out Abbey kink was modified to a chicane and the entry from Hangar Straight into Stowe Corner was modified so as to make its entry less dangerous.
The circuit is also home to the BRDC International Trophy, formerly one of the premier non-Championship F1 races in the calendar, today awarded to the winner of a race for historic F1 cars at the annual Silverstone Classic meeting.
There are three circuit configurations currently in use, the 'Grand Prix', 'National' and 'Southern' circuits
The circuit is owned by the British Racing Drivers' Club and was updated to it's current configuration in 2011.
Silverstone circuit is situated next to the Northamptonshire villages of Silverstone and Whittlebury.